Saturday, September 19, 2009

Week Two: Classic chapter books: Are You There, God, It's Me Margaret

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (AYTG?IMM) by Judy Blume
(cover image scanned from personal copy.)

Bibliography: Blume, J. (1970). Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret. New York: Dell Publishing.

SUMMARY

Margaret, an almost-twelve year old, and her family move from New York to the New Jersey suburbs. She not only has to make new friends at a new school, but she's also anxious about the changes in her body and the growing pressure to think about boys romantically. Though raised without her parent's Jewish and Christian traditions, Margaret talks to God in her head, hoping for some guidance as she navigates the insecure road from childhood to adulthood. A great coming of age book that touches on spirituality, menstruation and puberty, friendship, peer pressure and the uncomfortable transitions young adults face as they figure out themselves, their bodies and the world.

MY IMPRESSIONS
I remember reading AYTG?IMM when I was nearing the end of grade school. I loved Judy Blume's other books (especially the scandalous Forever) and purchased AYTG?IMM with my allowance. At the time, it had a tremendous effect on me because it touched on all of the issues that I was facing in my life. Although I didn't have to move to a new school, I was uncomfortable in my body, raging against my lack of breasts, wanting to wear makeup and kiss boys, feeling foreign from my family and wishing desperately for my period so I could finally stop being a kid. Blume writes with such an accurate point of view that I could easily project myself onto Margaret's character. She uses language and tone that feels age appropriate and not like an adult is talking down to readers. It's also amazing that the book covers such a broad spectrum of huge topics--religion, conformity, sexuality, self-esteem, puberty and the lack of communication between kids and their parents during this period of their lives. Even with all of those big issues, Blume is never preachy. Margaret is believable and sensitive and resolves her issues in a satisfying way. I find it remarkable that with the exception of the sanitary napkin belts, AYTG?IMM is as applicable now as it was in 1970.

The new house in the suburbs is a fitting metaphor for Margaret as she grows into her awkward body and feels lonely because no one understands what she's going through. Margaret's pleading conversations with God are also spot on and capture her frustration. Re-reading it for this class, I'd completely forgotten the religious subplot of AYTG?IMM. I vaguely remember being intrigued by Margaret's Jewish relatives since I didn't know anyone in my town who wasn't either Lutheran, Catholic or Methodist. Margaret handles this complex situation with skill and honesty. I believe that this book is still a classic for adolescents, especially for girls.

ACTIVITIES

This book is obviously aimed at the older reader--grades 3-6. AYTG?IMM would be appropriate for a book discussion on a number of topics.

Tie in the book with health/ sex ed information offered by the school as the students near puberty. Students may feel more comfortable asking questions about their bodies after reading a book like this.

Discuss different religious traditions and holidays. Bring up some of the issues involved in a multi-faith family.

Pair the book with others that address issues of peer pressure and friendship. Ask if anyone has ever moved to a new school and to describe what the experience was like.

Great Stone Face Award winner
1975 Hawaii Nene Award
New York Times Best Books for Children List, 1970
Young Hoosier Book Award, 1976
North Dakota Children's Choice Award, 1979

REVIEWS
"Margaret Simon has a lot of things to think about--making friends in a new school, boys and dances and parties, growing physically "normal" and choosing a religion. With sensitivity and humor, Judy Blume has captured the joys, fears, and uncertainties that surround a girl approaching adolescence."
Publishers Weekly

"It will be easy for girls to imagine themselves in Margaret's world because it is a realistic one. She experiences a wide range of emotions, all of which will strike a chord with readers." Children's Literature

"Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret has been frequently challenged for some controversial content: it talks frankly about menstruation and other puberty-related changes, and it shows a young girl from a non-religious Jewish-Christian family trying to choose a religion for herself. I didn’t find either of these to particularly threatening; it is a well-written story about the things that twelve-year-olds are already thinking and talking about.

For me, reading Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret was like being that age again. My friends and I talked about the same things: do you need a bra yet? do you have hair growing anywhere? do I need to use deoderant yet? does anyone have her period? do I need to shave my legs yet? And Margaret and her friends make some dumb mistakes, and are catty, and find out eventually that the attractive boy is sometimes also a big jerkface. It feels real; Judy Blume is clearly a lady who remembers what it’s like to be twelve."

by Christine from She Reads Books blog

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book as well as Tiger Eyes,Blubber, and all the others.

    ReplyDelete